The National Automotive Policy 2014 (NAP2014) was announced under a targeted approach that focuses on Energy Efficient Vehicles (EEVs). Through the policy, strategic Investments from both foreign and domestic sources would accelerate technology development and allow market expansion for domestic players; strengthened by initiatives to enhance the Supply Chain, Human Capital and Safety, Security and Environment.
The NAP 2014 was therefore crafted focusing on the objectives of enhancing the competitive advantage of the local automotive industry and to develop environmentally friendly automotive manufacturing ecosystem and their outputs. The main objectives of the document are to;
• Promote a competitive and sustainable local automotive industry including the national car companies;
• Develop Malaysia as the regional automotive hub in energy efficient vehicles (EEV);
• Promote increase of value added activities in a sustainable manner while continuously developing the local
• Promote increase in exports for vehicles and automotive components;
• Promote participation of Bumiputera companies in the total value chain of the local automotive industry;
• Safeguard consumers’ interest by offering safer and better quality products at competitive price.
The focus on EEVs will streamline the efforts of industry players, research institutions and government initiatives towards product and process technologies that are relevant to global trends of future powertrains, fuel consumption patterns and emission requirements.